Monday, July 16, 2012

Maryland Heights Government Cente: Thursday, 19 July 2012

Dennis Minner: Urban Exploration Digital Photography
Thursday, July 19 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
June 26 - Aug. 3

After several years of trials and tribulations, Dennis Minner Jr. found his relief and therapy in New York City while doing urban exploration photography. Dennis’ first urbex adventure was at Pilgrim State Asylum on Long Island in New York. “It was incredibly eerie and I was constantly looking over my shoulder. The shadows bounced in and out of rooms and the noises overtook my sense of hearing. I was terrified at times knowing that horrible deaths and torture that had occurred in the very rooms I was walking. Knowing that I was giving something that had become lost and forgotten a second chance also brought me a sense of inner peace. It was a moment of redemption. Redemption for the objects I was shooting and redemption for myself.”

After just a few years, Dennis found himself traveling all over New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania taking in these abandoned locations that many were fearful to enter. “What many saw as haunted or scary, I felt a sense of compassion. I started noticing that many of my photographs were empty chairs. Then the revelation hit me when I saw the green chair at an abandoned girl’s school. I was that chair. I was the one that was lost and forgotten. Then I saw the bright light shining on the chair and remembered I was never alone. It was an amazing moment for me when I realized no matter how scary things looked like on the outside, everything was going to be ok.”

Maryland Heights Government Center
11911 Dorsett
Maryland Heights, MO 63043

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home