Friday, March 31, 2017

SOHA Studio and Gallery: Friday, 21 April 2017

SOHA is pleased to announce our next exhibition by Greta Coalier.
A Solo Exhibition of New Paintings titled "Effloresce"
Opening Night: Friday, April 21, 6 - 10 pm

"My work is inspired by a love of textiles coupled with a rich memory of objects and experiences throughout my life. I often reflect on the visual images that these experiences conjure up and incorporate them into whimsically dichotomous narratives. 

From the soft intricate patterns and stitching on the quilts of my childhood to my early wonder of space exploration, space ships, and ultimately space shuttle explosions, I contrast memories like these into a poetic language of comfort and woe. You’ll find themes of beauty and tension throughout the work that I create. A mermaid itself is a beautiful fantastical creature, but folklore associates it with bad luck and misfortune. A mysterious cat in the night could be a friendly experience or one rife with daunting superstition. Cottages, cabins and skyscrapers floating in the dark ground of a night sky convey the feeling of excitement of an oncoming storm.

I also think my paintings convey a circular sense of time. The lush florals of 80’s décor complete with their cabbage roses were at once celebrated, dated, reimagined and then celebrated again. An old car comes with a history that may have outlived it's first excited new owner, but is now treasured for it’s age by someone completely new. 

All in all, the subjects of my paintings have polarity but are always grounded with a sense of growth and tradition. I covet the embroidery and needlepoint of my ancestors and the agelessness of the objects they left behind. I find their work inspiring and timeless and I strive to do the same. Cradle to grave, seed to bloom, cloth to canvas."


Exhibition Dates: April 21 - May 14
Artist Talk: Wednesday, April 10, 7p - 9p

SOHA Studio and Gallery
4915 Macklind Ave
St. Louis 63109
(314) 780-5151

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home