Sunday, March 01, 2015

Componere Gallery: Sunday, 1 March 2015

Christopher Lynch: “No Answer Is Also An Answer”
found object collages

March 1st 2015 - March 28th 2015
Reception:Sunday March 1st 2015 2-4 p.m.

Masks and ritualistic objects have always fascinated me. The forms these objects can take are limitless. In primitive cultures, these objects are painstakingly constructed with a real purpose:function is more important than mere ornamentation – which I find very exciting. In my work, I explore common materials using fairly rudimentary tools to “organize” them into sources of mystery. Combined rusticity with disciplined composition and focus is my primary aim. My extensive use of found objects with acquired “power”- is my attempt to mimic the aboriginal. I’d call myself a modern primitive who creates from the gleanings of an industrial society. I believe my work benefits because I’m self-taught, so external influences are attenuated. Although my father was a classically trained artist, he encouraged me but never exerted influence. My aim is to derive inspiration totally from within myself. Think of what I do as an exercise in making green art, so to speak. Some have described my work asoutsider art. I see it a contemporary folk art laced with a touch of tongue-in-cheek.

www.componere.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home