Monday, January 05, 2015

Cathy Gregory Studio Gallery: Friday, 20 February 2014


Nora Othic at Cathy Gregory
Opening reception Friday, February 20, from 6 to 9 pm

Nora. Othic's strong drawing skills and evolving style has led some to describe her work as “regionalist-like” similar to Thomas Hart Benton or Grant Wood. This contemporary regionalist’s work presents rural farm scenes, small town landscapes and prize farm animals; all icons of mid-America. Her art reflects the lifestyle her subjects embrace, and the community in which she lives. Many of her works are pure storytelling with the pride of her subjects self-evident – plus a dash of tongue-in-cheek humor. The majority are rendered with pastels whose textural qualities fit her subjects well.

“For some time now I have been referring to myself as a Neo-Regionalist. It is my own term and somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but also an accurate description. I am combining the subject matter and bravura attitude of artist like Benton and Woods with the elevation of everyday life and objects to an iconic status that is characteristic of the Pop movement. I throw in bits and pieces of Baroque, Modern and cartoon art… anything is fair game.

"I try to make my work many-layered, both in meaning and technique. A drawing of a bull is just that, an exploration of the form of the actual animal, but it is also an experiment in color, line and composition, and a venture into the psychology of human-bovine relations. There is always an undercurrent of humor in my work. This may just be the fact that I’m depicting a heroic dachshund or an elegant swine, or it may be something more subtle, as in an improbable aqua sky.

"Looking at my own work over several years, my interest in the ordinary aspects of life, particularly that of rural areas or small towns, has not changed. What has evolved is a growing confidence that allows me to make the work as abrasive, humorous and/or energetic as I want it to be.”

 Gallery hours Thursday to Saturday 11 am to 5 pm and by appointment by calling 314-773-3935

2000 south 39th street
st. louis, missouri, 63110
314-773-3935
info@cathygregory.com
CathyGregory.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home