Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Sheldon Art Galleries: Friday, 22 February 2013

The Sheldon Art Galleries presents, Ryan Duffy: Photographs, February 22 – June 15, 2013 in the Ann Lee and Wilfred Konneker Gallery. The public is invited to an opening reception, Friday, February 22, 2013, 5 – 7 p.m.; galleries open until 8 p.m. Gallery hours are Tuesdays, Noon – 8 p.m.; Wednesdays - Fridays, Noon – 5 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. and one hour prior to Sheldon performances and during intermission. Admission is free. For more information on exhibitions, visit the galleries’ website at thesheldon.org/galleries.asp.

This exhibition features works by Fall Sheldon Art Galleries intern Ryan Duffy, who uses Holga and Diana cameras to create dreamlike views of landscapes, gardens and domestic scenes. Duffy explains, “I found my subjects all around me, but in places I’ve never seen. They were in old neighborhoods, backyards and fading businesses; places many would ignore, but where I would find the most remarkable things. What I found were relics and symbols of the Midwest, things that told of its past, its secrets, and its drama. I wanted color to tell the story with as much precision, tonality and creative control as with black and white. In the photographs, I explore the relationship of color to the subjects, and use it to drive the narrative. The Holga and Diana are my tools for this project; their dreamy blur, dark corners, aged look, and unique rendition of color compliment my subject matter.”

3648 WASHINGTON BOULEVARD
SAINT LOUIS, MO | 63108
314.533.9900

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home