Sunday, May 02, 2010

Good Citizen Gallery: Friday, Saturday, 8 May 2010

Caleb Cole: Marks of Absence
Good Citizen Gallery
Opening Reception SATURDAY May 8, 6-10pm
May 8 - June 5, 2010

Good Citizen Gallery invites you to view the work of Caleb Cole, one of three artists asked to participate in the Santo Foundation's invitational exhibit of artists, curated by Marie Heilich. Marks of Absence, a three artist, dual venue, exhibition investigates our perception of absence and renders lack, a subject in itself.

Fort Gondo will feature the sculptural work of Lily Cox-Richard and the shaped panel acrylic paintings of Lori Larusso. Calling attention to the viewer's awareness of absence, the work of Caleb Cole will be shown at the nearby venue, Good Citizen Gallery. There, he will be exhibiting his series of photographs titled Other People's Clothes.

"At the heart of my work is a fascination with ambiguities and inconsistencies, an interest in how I go about negotiating areas of gray and how others manage to do the same. When I am in public, I watch people going about their daily routines alone; I wonder about the lives they lead, wonder how they experience the world around them and how they make meaning of it. I spend time inventing stories for them: narratives of isolation, of questioning and searching, of desire, and of confusion. The images in Other People's Clothes are a product of my exploration of private moments of expectation, a visual expression of my experiences stepping into the shoes of the types of people I see on a daily basis. Each photograph in the series is a constructed scene that begins with an outfit or piece of clothing (either bought, found, or borrowed), then a person that I imagine to fill those clothes, and finally a location where that person can play out a silent moment alone. This moment is the time right before something changes, the holding in of a breath and waiting, the preparing of oneself for what is to come. Though I am the physical subject of these images, they are not self-portraits. They are portraits of people I have never met but with whom I feel familiar, as well as documents of the process wherein I try on the transitional moments of others lives in order to better understand my own."
- Caleb Cole

Gallery Hours Fri., Sat. Noon - 5pm and by appointment

Good Citizen Gallery
2247 Gravois Ave,
St. Louis MO, 63104-2852

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home